Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Group Read of The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

Inspired by Leslie and Hilcia's wonderful reviews of Mariana by Susanna Kearsley and because several many commented and said they have always wanted to read a book by this author--or more books by this author, I've decided to host a very simple group read of Kearsley's The Winter Sea.

The Winter Sea is an historical time travel romance set on the shores of Scotland.


In the spring of 1708, an invading Jacobite fleet of French and Scottish soldiers nearly succeeded in landing the exiled James Stewart in Scotland to reclaim his crown.

Now, Carrie McClelland hopes to turn that story into her next bestselling novel. Settling herself in the shadow of Slains Castle, she creates a heroine named for one of her own ancestors and starts to write.

But when she discovers her novel is more fact than fiction, Carrie wonders if she might be dealing with ancestral memory, making her the only living person who knows the truth-the ultimate betrayal-that happened all those years ago, and that knowledge comes very close to destroying her...



Hilcia's review of Mariana by Susanna Kearsley 
Leslie's review of Mariana by Susanna Kearsley

Leslie's review of The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley
Brie's review of The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsely

I'm sure I could provide you with link after link of rave reviews of Ms. Kearsley's books, but why not find out for yourself and join us as we read The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley in the next few weeks. The book is about 527 pages and since I know so many of you fly through entire novels in just a couple of days, we'll keep this group read very simple. We'll start reading around the same time and have one day to discuss the book about two weeks after that to give some of us slow pokes some time to finish it. Of course, we can discuss the story during the reading period as we see fit.

In order to allow some time to spread the word and for everyone to get a hold of the book, let's start reading The Winter Sea together on or around January 21, chat about it as we go along and finish for a group discussion on February 4, 2013. For those of us on twitter, we can use the hash tag #WinterSea to discuss the book there.

If you'd like to join this group read of The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley--which I hope you do, link up your blog to the Mr.Linky below. You don't have to have a blog to join the group read. If you don't, just leave your name in the comments below.

I hope you join us!



20 comments:

  1. Hmm, will have to look this book up. It sounds quite interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in, Christine :) The local library has a copy, so I'll head down there today and pick it up. Looking forward to it - love that era and love time travel romance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in! I've heard so many good things about Susanna Kearsley, and I actually just bought four of her books on sale, including The Winter Sea. Sounds like a fun group read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yay! I'm so thrilled to see you're all interested in reading The Winter Sea together!

    Brandy, I hope the book is appealing to you.. I know you haven't read historical fiction in a long time. I would love if you joined the group read, but if it's your cup of tea, that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a time travel fan, but I do look forward to all your thoughts :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the E-book of this last week when it was on sale. Will look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faith so glad you're going to join the group read! I'm looking forward to it, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I've wanted to read this author for awhile now so I'm going to stop by the library in the next few days and see if I can grab a copy. I'll make sure I link up officially if I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read this book already but if you ever do this with another of her books...lol
    I liked this one and it doesn't have time travel like we are used to see in most books with this theme...I hope you like it!
    ****

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already read it, but I'm still joining the discussion ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already joined, just forgot to comment here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love, love, love Susanna Kearsley's books and I am so excited to see that you are running this! I haven't signed up but I might do a reread....maybe.

    Another good thing about reading this book now is that you will all be ready for the next book which is kind of a companion book to the Winter Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I signed up, but seriously, no guarantee!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. samantha.1020 Oh please do pick it up from your library, if you can. I'd love for you to join us.

    S., Oh you've read it already, too? Nice! From Marg's comment, it looks like Kearsley is coming out with a companion book to Winter Sea, so perhaps we'll all read that together when it comes out. That would be nice, I think.

    Brie, Great! :))

    Hilcia I saw. ;)

    Marg Even if you don't get around to re-reading it, please stop by and discuss with us in the beginning of February. And thanks so much for the heads up on the upcoming companion novel. That's so cool!

    nath Okay, no guarantees, but it would be wonderful if you joined us. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've signed up. I truly don't know if I'll get to read it or not, but I'll give it a go. My plan had been to read Kearsley's books in publication order, but I chance t share and discuss with others is a good excuse to skip out of order.

    By the way, I'm pretty sure the new one, The Firebird, is a companion book to The Shadowy Horses (I absolutely loved that one) rather than The Winter Sea (aka Sophia's Secret).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rocalisa, I've read the new one. It features a character from The Shadowy Horses, but definitey is more a companion novel to The Winter Sea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello All,
    I got Susanna's book "The Shadowy Horses" for Christmas and have since also read and loved several of her books including "Mariana", "The Rose Garden"and "The Splendour Falls". As of today I'm one page 368 of "The Winter Sea" in preparation for our on-line group talk...looking forward to it, it'll be my first.

    "The Shadowy Horses" has a young boy named Robbie who can sense things from the past and future and he is also in "The Firebird" I understand, but I haven't seen him in "The Winter Sea" yet...makes me curious how TWS could be a companion to TF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wilma

      In answer to your question, the historical story in The Firebird is closely linked to the historical story in The Winter Sea.

      Delete
  18. Hi...looking forward to joining in on "The Winter Sea" discussion...a first for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. rocalisa and wilma So glad you're joining the Winter Sea group read! :)

    Marg Thanks so much for the heads up on The Firebird!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I love to hear what YOU think.
[I apologize, but I've had to disallow anonymous users to comment on my blog due to an influx of spam. I'll change it back as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.]